Importance of Three...

Shillong - 8th June 2010

THREE is an important number.  It is inauspicious in many religions.  It is odd whole number.  It is a natural number as well.  Just a day back I started reading 3 mistakes of may life by Chetan Bhagat.  It has been in the shelf for few months since I bought and every time I looked at the shelf, I heard a call from 3 mistakes, I attended to this call just on this Sunday. I shall write about the book once I am through with it, for the moment let me talk about numbers. One, Two, Three, Four, Five..... nth

Three is an important number. We have grown with a nursery rhyme -


Baa baa black sheep, have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir, THREE bags full!
One for the master, one for the dame,
And one for the little boy who lives down the lane. 

Why the poet s so concerned with only three bags, could be two or four, may be 3 is not more, and 3 is not less as well.  Of course it is relative.  It seems an Ideal number.  We are just three of us in the family, Me, my wife and my daughter, so for me three is ideal.  So three remains an important number.  We had a all time bollywood hit movie 3 idiots which showed its presence quite remarkably in the recently held AIFA award ceremony.  There was another hindi movie Teen Patti - starring Amitabh Bachchan which did not do well at the box office.

Three monkeys of Mahatma Gandhi are also quite famous -
hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil

There must have been something phenomenal in the number 3 that Gandhiji only thought of 3 monkeys, otherwise there are so many NOs that we should follow and most important of all is DO NO EVIL. But seems that too many is also not good and too less as well. So he decided Three.

At the present situation in our university, the power of three is felt by everybody, there are three committees, three persons and three propositions.  Do we have three mistakes, three monkeys, three idiots, three bags full, one for master, another for dame and another for friend, or do we need to sing another nursery rhyme...

Johnny Johnny  Yes Papa, 
Eating sugar?  No Papa, 
Telling lies?  No Papa 
Open your mouth  O Ha! Ha! Ha!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Manipur Diary

Discontinuance of Money Order Service by India Post

Punjab or Panjab